There are major differences between variant electrical elements and categories. The categories’ main features differ according to multiple criteria and functions. Besides, another important feature of differentiation is size and scale of the electric project, the voltage rate, the degree of technological advancement, etc.
In the field of electricity, there is an immense number of elements. Though the term equipment or components are really vague and ambiguous, in this article we are going to try to explore them more.
In electricity field, an engineer would need three principal categories of materials. Hence, one can divide the electrical supplies into clear-cut division. In fact, there is electrical equipment, electrical components and electrical tools.
Electrical smallest and basic apparatuses are tools. The tools generally are personal protective equipment (PPE), circuit testers, screwdrivers, cordless screwdriver/drill, wire strippers, lineman’s pliers, long-nosed pliers, Nut Drivers, etc. These tools or items are tremendously important in small-scale projects. The list we mentioned is limited and we can mention lots more than this. However, in large-scale electrical projects we talk rather about electrical components and equipment. The machinery or tools used in large-scale projects are bigger in size and capacity.
On the other hand, the components are smaller parts than electrical equipment. For instance, a switchgear is a large electrical equipment occupied by the suitable components. Previously and until today, the notion designated every part that composed electronic devices such as televisions, radios, machines, etc. Moreover, there have been other apparatuses like laptops and other technological assets, which use electricity as a basic energy of functioning.
Electrical components vary according to their function, voltage, systems, automation and capacities. To summarize, whether electrical tools or electrical components, we have to know that they are constituents of bigger elements called electrical equipment.
Therefore, this is a synopsized list of most known electrical components. Electrical equipment companies are manufacturing huge quantities of these elements nowadays. This is due to the reason that their value market is rapidly increasing. There are multiple categories of components. Indeed, in this section we are going to deal with some examples of these following categories: electrical distribution and protection components, switches, relays, wire and cables.
- Fuses: Their main role is to protect the device from overcurrents and short circuits.
- Circuit breakers: Their main role is to disrupt current under definite unusual electric conditions. For instance, in case of short circuits or in case of unstable voltage rate.
- Switches: Their main role is to permit electric current to run or flow while they are closed. However, when they are open they stop current flow. There are many varieties of switches such as: pushbutton, rocker, toggle, rotary coded DIP, DIP, rotary, key-lock, slide, snap action, and reeds.
- Transfer switches: Their main role is to move electricity or electric energy back and forth in between two energy systems.
- Key-lock switches: It is functioning through a circle shaped key. These devices work prominently to develop more security and control. Solid-state relays: They are also called semiconductor relays. Their main role is to adjust or shift electric energy to a load. Their main specification is that they represent an insulator between the high rate voltage and the load parts.
- Wires and cables: They are essential components within the power supply chain. They convey numerous functions. Wires and cables main roles are to link, transfer, lock and protect.
- Cable trays: They are entities and units of cables. The main objective of this assemblage system is to support, to bridge, and to allow a safe transfer of wires.
This list is not complete we must have other sections talking about electrical components. Follow e-electricity magazine for other article on this topic and other interesting arena of studies.